Nobody’s perfect. But with cosmetic treatments, anyone can look great. And if you look good, you will also feel good. These procedures can help boost your self-worth and self-confidence. It may cost a little more than the usual beauty remedies, but the results are long-lasting.
Here are some of the most popular types of surgery procedures in the United States today:
- Breast Augmentation – the purpose of this treatment is to increase the size of your breast or to restore its firmness, especially after giving birth or losing so much weight. Breast augmentation is clinically referred to as augmentation mammoplasty. It is one of the most sought after cosmetic treatments because it can improve the balance of a woman’s figure and enhance her self-image. According to CBS News, there were 296,203 breast augmentation procedures performed in 2010. That’s around 2 percent increase from its rate in 2009. There are six types of breast implants: saline, silicone, gummy bear, round, smooth and textured. Silicone breast implants are the most common type because the gel feels a lot like natural breast tissue. Cosmetic surgeons usually recommend them to patients who are 22 years or older.
- Rhinoplasty – this treatment is performed to enhance the shape and size of the nose. Depending on the aesthetic goal of the patient, nose surgery can be used to make the nose smaller or larger. It is also used to change the angle of the nose, alter the tip of the nose, improve bumps and any other defects in this area.The most common nasal implants used by cosmetic surgeons today are silicone implants, cartilage grafts, and Gore-Tex. Each material has its advantage. Your doctor will decide on the best one to use depending on what you want to achieve. For any cosmetic procedure, it is best to consult a trusted surgeon first to get the best results.
- Eyelid Surgery – according to CBS News, there are 208, 764 eyelid surgeries that were performed in 2010. That’s a 3% increase from 2009. It is clinically referred to as blepharoplasty, and its purpose is to either reduce bagginess from the lower eyelids or remove excess skin from the upper eyelids. The majority of the patients who undergo this cosmetic treatment are monolids. Older patients need it to improve their eyesight, especially those who have sagging upper eyelids.
- Liposuction – the purpose of this procedure is to remove excess fat from the human body to regain balance and improve its shape. It is sometimes referred to by patients as ‘lipo.’ By using a tool called suction and cannula (small, thin, blunt-tipped tubes), excess fats are removed from different areas of the body. With the technological advancements of today, liposuction has been made easier, safer and less painful. It is usually performed as an outpatient procedure in a well-equipped clinic or hospital. You don’t need to stay overnight in the hospital unless a large amount of fat has been removed from your body. Your doctor may administer anesthesia or sedative depending on your pain tolerance and the volume of fat that needs to be suctioned.
- Face Lift – the medical name of the procedure is rhytidectomy, and it involves removing excess fat in the face to tighten the muscles around the area. After which, skin is redraped to smoothen out the wrinkles and reduce the signs of aging. Recovery period for this treatment may take two to three weeks, depending on the amount of fat that was removed from the face. You must limit your sun exposure for several months, and you may even find it difficult to smile too.